Created By: Altered Landscapes / Preserved Landscapes
The original Halseyville covered bridge was built over Taughannock Creek in 1833, along with a new mill, after the original mill and log bridge were destroyed by a flood, one of several highly destructive floods recorded for this area over the years. It was later replaced by this concrete bridge, near the historic Halsey House, which bears a marker which reads:
Route 96, Halseyville.
Home of pioneers of 1808,
Nicoll and Euphias McDowell Halsey.
Built in 1829.
First mill built nearby in 1809;
flood destroyed the mill and log bridge.
A new mill, covered bridge was erected in 1833,
and replaced in 1928, mill was lost in the 1935 flood.
This point of interest is part of the tour: 20 Historical Bridges in Tompkins County, NY