Created By: North Dakota State University
The Fargo National Bank building that you see today was built to replace a wood, two story building that had been built in the late 1880's. The original building does not have much history to it besides the fact that it had previously housed Citizens National Bank before they moved across the street in 1894. Citizens National Bank moved because the basement of the original building caught fire in 1894, almost burning down the whole building.
Fargo National Bank purchased the lot and built the new building in 1911 to serve as its main branch. It was built in the Classical style with Greek Ionic Pillars out of Tennessee Marble. It was designed by EE Joralemon out of Minneapolis and cost Fargo National Bank approximately $55,000. Fargo National bank left the building in 1926 to move to a different location downtown as they had out grown this building. From 1926 until late 1990's, various businesses operated inside, most of which were in the Insurance field.
Organized in 1872, Fargo National Bank was one of the oldest banking houses in the state of North Dakota. Martin Hector, who had moved to Fargo in 1872, was elected it's first president. Hector served as president of the bank for 31 years and was also engaged in city politics, serving some time as Fargo's mayor. Fargo's Hector International Airport carries his namesake.
Fort Noks Bar of Gold opened in 2005 and continues to occupy the building today. In 2015, the Fargo National Bank building and adjacent north lot was sold to RDO Equipment Inc., who said that Fort Noks would still continue to operate under the new ownership.
This point of interest is part of the tour: A Look Around Downtown Fargo