Created By: Ithaca Heritage
Date built: 1936-37 with addition in 1949
Architect: Carl W. Clark
Set back from the main road by a grassy lawn, this red brick grade school’s design was inspired by the Colonial Revival style and was built as a Works Progress Administration (WPA) project to serve the small community of Freeville. An old wooden school building that once sat across the street educated the village’s students before this building was erected. The handsome Palladian arch entrance in the middle of the main façade distinguishes this single-story school. Arched windows and flanking wings with blind arches with stone medallions extend out from the central entrance. The school is part of the Dryden Central School District and is still in use today as an elementary school.
2021. GPF V20.303. Image courtesy of The History Center in Tompkins County archival collections.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Historic Schools of Tompkins County