Frisco Depot and the Wichita Eagle

Historic Downtown Wichita

Frisco Depot and the Wichita Eagle

Wichita, Kansas 67203, United States

Created By: Wichita History Walk



At the southwest corner of Douglas and Mosley, the Frisco railroad connected Wichita to St. Louis at a depot established in August 1903. This depot was in use until Union Station was constructed, and then used for other purposes until it was demolished in 1953. Later, it became the site of the Wichita Eagle from 1961 to 2017.

Earlier locations for The Eagle offices were 3rd and Main, then Main and Douglas, where it had one of the first telephones in Wichita installed in 1881. In 1908, it moved to the SW corner of Market and Williams in a building described as modernized colonial featuring a giant golden eagle on the north side.

The Eagle building was demolished for a new Cargill Protein headquarters, unveiled in December 2018. The building houses more than 800 workers in a four-story, 188,000-square-foot building.

The Wichita Eagle is now at 330 North Mead, in Old Town.

Take a look inside Cargill’s new downtown Wichita headquarters

This point of interest is part of the tour: Historic Downtown Wichita


Leave a Comment



Download the App

Download the PocketSights Tour Guide mobile app to take this self-guided tour on your GPS-enabled mobile device.

iOS Tour Guide Android Tour Guide



Updates and Corrections

Please send change requests to