Created By: North Dakota State University
The Furnberg Store was built in 1899 by Christian and Johanna Furnberg in Osgood, North Dakota, about 4 miles south of West Fargo. General stores like the Furnberg were the Wal-marts of thier day, stocking everything from clothing, to groceries, to feed and supplies for the farm. A blacksmith operated out of the backroom of the store, which meant that the Furnbergs did not keep much stock in the back, stocking only what was necessary. In addition to the store and blacksmith shop, the Furnberg Store also housed the Osgood post office until 1911.
The store closed in 1953 after being in operation for over 50 years. The Furnberg's son, Christian, donated it and all its contents to Bonanzaville in 1968 and was instrumental in restoring the store.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Bonanzaville Full Village Tour