Created By: Los Angeles Visionaries Association
Garnier Building (1890 – Abraham Edelman) – Named for Frenchman Phillippe Garnier, who, with his brothers, owned Rancho Los Encinos. This building was constructed for Chinese commercial tenants, housing important Chinese organizations, including the Chinese Consolidated Benevolent Association, the Chinese American Citizens Alliance, and Chinese churches and schools. The southern third of the building was wiped away to make way for the Hollywood/Santa Anna Freeway in the mid-1950s. Now home to the Chinese American Museum of Los Angeles.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Romanesque Revival Downtown