Created By: Ithaca Heritage
Built in the 1830s as a schoolhouse, renovated in 1847 to become a chapel.
The single-story, Greek Revival-style schoolhouse has a T-shaped floorplan. Both the wood frame schoolhouse and the small Gothic Revival-style chapel were built on land donated by Charles Hayt, a landowner, religious leader, and abolitionist who was one of the early settlers of West Hill. This one-room schoolhouse is typical of the many small schools built across the state in the 1830s and 1840s. It served as a school until 1964. Both buildings are listed on the New York State and National Registers.
Image courtesy of The History Center in Tompkins County archival collections: V20.62
This point of interest is part of the tour: Historic Schools of Tompkins County