Created By: Auckland Council
Retired Lieutenant-Colonel Charles W. Coles, who had commanded the forts at North Head and Devonport during the First World War, offered his home and services to the Home Guard in 1942. He was demoted to the rank of Major to take command of the local unit. The stone garage on the corner of Violet Street was used for the Quartermaster’s stores, including rifles, while planning meetings took place in the dining room and administration in the spare bedroom (which Coles’ daughter remembers as being left unlocked when the three full-time staff were not around). The roof was taken over as a pigeon loft, while the materials needed to create Molotov cocktails were kept under the house. In these cramped conditions, it was probably a relief for Coles’ daughter to go off to weekly parades at Mount Albert Grammar School.
Continue to the end of Violet Street and then turn left at Bennett Street. At New North Road, take the crossing to the opposite side and continue north.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Mount Albert History Walk