Created By: Ithaca Heritage
Located at 512 Edgewood Place
Effie Morse was a very early president of the Ithaca Women’s Club, serving from 1898 – 1899. Closely involved with children’s education in Ithaca, she organized the first kindergarten in the city. She also oversaw the development of the Social Service League, which built the North Side and West Side community centers. Morse organized the Associate Charities, an umbrella organization that later became the United Way, and was appointed Ithaca’s first woman commissioner of Charities.
Before her involvement with social clubs, she attended the New England Conservatory of Music and became a proficient musician and talented vocalist. She married Virgil D. Morse on December 24,1887, who became partner of the Morse Chain company. In the early 1890s, Virgil chose architect Samuel Hillger, an Auburn native working in the office of William Henry Miller, to design their Shingle-style residence at 512 Edgewood Place.
Source: History Center of Tompkins County
This point of interest is part of the tour: Ithaca Women of Note