Created By: Visit Carlton
Construction on the Brooks Hotel began in 1912. The building was finished in 1914. On opening night, February 21,1914, a large crowd gathered and an orchestra signaled the opening of the new accommodations. The building housed businesses on the ground floor and hotel rooms on the second floor. There was a grocery store, dime store and optometrist/jeweler as some of the original businesses in the building. There was also a large hotel dining room. The Brooks family owned the building until the late 1920s. After selling the hotel in the late 1920s it was converted to apartments.
A fire in 1942 glutted the interior. By 1945 a remodel added a movie theater, coffee shop and offices. After the theater closed in the 1960s, many businesses have been housed in the Brooks Building up to the present.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Carlton Historical Tour