Created By: Visit Carlton
W.A.Howe, of Carlton and W.M. Ladd of Portland, built the Hotel Carlton in 1905 for $40,000. This large, well-appointed hotel was built to accommodate increased demand for lodging brought on by expected economic growth. Sadly, the hotel burned in 1907, never to be rebuilt. Over 60 guests in the hotel narrowly escaped losing their lives. The site would remain empty until 1922, when a gas station was built. The current Carlton Corners restaurant and gas station is located at this site.
Last image shown is an aerial of the gas station that was built here in the early 1950s, which still stands today.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Carlton Historical Tour