Hotel Roanoke

Gainsboro History Walk

Hotel Roanoke

Roanoke, Virginia 24016, United States

Created By: Roanoke Valley Preservation Foundation


Hotel Roanoke is one of Roanoke's most prominent and familiar cultural and architectural landmarks. It is on the National Register of Historic Places.

The hotel was built in 1882 by the Norfolk & Western Railway. It was originally a two-and-one-half story, L-shaped Queen Anne style building that fronted on Jefferson Street. Originally constructed with 34 guest rooms, the hotel was expanded in 1890 to 94 rooms. In 1898, the hotel was damaged by fire and portions rebuilt. Additions to the hotel were completed in 1931, 1938, 1946 and 1954. The original landscaped grounds of Hotel Roanoke have survived remarkably intact.

The 1931 Northeast Wing is the oldest surviving portion of the hotel. It incorporates a 1916 East Wing which was designed by architects Frye and Chesterman of Roanoke. The 1931 addition added guest rooms and a basement-level garage.

The 1938 West Wing is the most prominent and serves as the formal entrance and lobby.It was designed by hotel specialist, Knut W. Lind, AIA of the New York City architectural firm of George B. Post & Sons.The new addition provided new technical advances for the industry; it was advertised as "one of the first in America scientifically desiged for air conditioning."

In 1989 the hotel was closed, furnishings auctioned, and the building donated to the Virginia Tech Real Estate Foundation. A new Conference Center was added in 1995.

This point of interest is part of the tour: Gainsboro History Walk


Leave a Comment



Download the App

Download the PocketSights Tour Guide mobile app to take this self-guided tour on your GPS-enabled mobile device.

iOS Tour Guide Android Tour Guide



Updates and Corrections

Please send change requests to