Created By: Nappanee Public Library
Huffman’s Bakery was started in 1893 by Ogden Huffman. His son Roy Huffman took over the business in 1917 when his father passed away. When they moved into their fireproof building in 1919, it had a flour elevator from the basement to the sifter that was also weighed before entering the bread mixer. The oven has the capacity of 500 loaves every 40 minutes.
Their bread delivery division started in 1920 when Roy Slagle and Edgar Pippenger began to peddle bread and pastries throughout the state. They were famous for their mother's bread line.
Roy passed away in 1934, and his wife Bessie took over. She was truly a woman out of her time when it came to being a female in a management position.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Nappanee History Scavenger Hunt