Created By: Heritage Center, Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word
Construction of the Motherhouse began shortly after the property (now campus) was purchased in 1897 from Colonel George W. Brackenridge. The Motherhouse contained the convent, novitiate, College and Academy of the Incarnate Word. Here, the Sisters lived, prayed, and worked. It was the home to which they returned from the missions.
The Sisters had gardens, milk cows, chickens, their own water, a laundry that could accomodate several hundred Sisters, and a kitchen and staff that prepared three meals a day. As times changed, and more and more Sisters began living in smaller communities, the Sisters began to search for ways to use the resource of the Motherhouse and surrounding property for the greater good.
In the early 1980's, the Congregation returned to one of its early ministries, the care of the aged. It was determined that the repair and "reimaging" of the space would be prohibitive. The diffecult decision was made to raze the building to make way for the Village at Incarnate Word. The original facade of the Convent entrance was saved, and placed in its original location.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Heritage Trail Walking Tour
Please send change requests to changerequest@pocketsights.com.