Created By: Great River Energy
The Washburn Airport has a fully paved concrete runway that is 60-feet wide by 3,700 feet long. The base of the runway includes fly ash from Stanton Station. The fly ash helps stabilize the base.
The Sioux Ferry – located along the river at Washburn’s Riverside Park – was one of the last ferries used on the Missouri River. It was built by Oscar Anderson and took its maiden voyage on Memorial Day in 1952, and operated until 1962. The ferry once transported horses, autos and people from bank to bank. It was closed down because of navigation problems. And the bridge was built in the early 1970s.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Great River Energy's Coal Creek Tour