Created By: SHS
The International Longshoreman's Association of Southport received its charter in 1956, a year after the opening of Sunny Point Military Operations Terminal, one of the largest military terminals in the world. For the first sixteen years, members held their meetings in the Masonic Lodge on Lord Street. They built their current building in 1972. Southport's longshoremen played an important role in the war effort during Desert Shield, Desert Storm and especially the Viet Nam war. The men worked round the clock, including holidays and weekends in order to load munitions to be shipped overseas. Mr. Henry Rose was a member of the ILA for 51 years and became the fourth president of the Southport organization in 1980. During his term there were over 230 members. Longshoremen continue to play an important role in the economy of Southport, working the docks at Sunny Point and the State Port in Wilmington.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Southport, NC African American Heritage Tour