Created By: Preservation Greensboro
J. W. Jones began construction of his new brick store on July 1, 1895. Jones ran a wholesale grocery store that supplied patrons with “the choicest in all varieties of general groceries and table delicacies, imported or domestic” as well as special stock such as imported “coffees, cigars, and tobaccos.” The Jones grocery was located in the northernmost (left) shopfront. To the south (right) was Ralph P. Gorrell’s Saloon.
The façade of the building features red brick that is contrasted with pale-granite bands that form window sills and window lintels. This use of granite is common to several buildings in Greensboro, and could be the hand of English-born architect and building Thomas Woodroffe. Decorative brick patterns create shadow lines that enliven the façade. Above the round attic vents is a handsome Neoclassical pressed metal cornice that replaced an elaborate Victorian-era cornice sometime around 1920.
Style: Greensboro Vernacular. Listed to the National Register of Historic Places April 1980. Local Landmark Property since July 2009. Greensboro Preservation Award 2004.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Center City Greensboro Historic Architecture