Jefferson County Courthouse

Madison's Treasures Tours

Jefferson County Courthouse

Madison, Indiana 47250, United States

Created By: Visit Madison, Inc.

Information

Architecture/Culture

The Jefferson County Courthouse is the third building to serve as Jefferson County's courthouse and is a example of Greek Revival architecture. Designed by David Dubach, architect of the Switzerland County Courthouse, and built in the mid 1800's. In 1854, after a fire consumed the building, it was re-built in 1854-55 for $36,000.

In 1878, John Beavers was hanged here for murdering a real estate man in a robbery attempt. It was the only hanging in Jefferson Coutny history and drew hundreds of curious citizens.

During the restoration in 2009 for Madison's Bicentennial, the courthouse’s roof caught fire again, destroying the upper story and domed cupola. It was re-built and renovated within two years.

This point of interest is part of the tour: Madison's Treasures Tours


 

Leave a Comment

 


 

Download the App

Download the PocketSights Tour Guide mobile app to take this self-guided tour on your GPS-enabled mobile device.

iOS Tour Guide Android Tour Guide

 


 

Updates and Corrections

Please send change requests to changerequest@pocketsights.com.