John Coppes House

Nappanee History Scavenger Hunt

John Coppes House

Nappanee, Indiana 46550, United States

Created By: Nappanee Public Library


Built 1895

Located at 258 East Market Street, this home was built for John and Malinda Coppes and was designed by Henry Frazier. It was completed in 1895 and is a Queen Style home.

It featured a gorgeous wraparound porch, high-pitched roofs, a tower, and a carriage porch shared with the Daniel Zook home. Although they have different exterior looks the interior was identical to the Frank Coppes home, except in reverse. Original items to the home included a hand-cranked elevator in the basement to haul up wood. water fountains in each bedroom, and light fixtures and art class windows produced by the Lamb Brothers and Greene Factory.

John Coppes was a man of firsts in Nappanee. His wife and he were the very first to be married in Nappanee. John also served as the first fire chief when he was elected in 1892 and he is known to be the first to be arrested in July of 1889 for running his horse too fast. John was the Vice President and Secretary of Coppes Brothers and Zook and for many years was the active manager of the Lumber Department and Saw Mill Division until the Mill was closed down in 1929.

This point of interest is part of the tour: Nappanee History Scavenger Hunt


Leave a Comment



Download the App

Download the PocketSights Tour Guide mobile app to take this self-guided tour on your GPS-enabled mobile device.

iOS Tour Guide Android Tour Guide



Updates and Corrections

Please send change requests to