Created By: Heritage Hill Association
.S. Schramm moved to Burlington in 1842, initially working as a printer for the Gazette and then for Edwards at the Hawk-Eye. In 1844, he started in the grocery business and manufactured vinegar, the first in Burlington. In 1853, he shifted exclusively to the dry goods business with brother Charles F. Schramm. Schramm built Mozart Hall at Main and Columbia in 1856 (later bought by the county for the courthouse). He then moved to 212 Jefferson in 1858 after C.F. Schramm retired from the business. His stock occupied both the first and second story in 1875. He was a director of the German-American Savings Bank when it formed in 1874, and he served as president from 1877 to 1886.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Heritage Hill Historic District Walking Tour