Created By: North Dakota State University
The Kassenborg Block was commissioned by Andreas Kassenborg in 1898 after he purchased the adjacent Douglas House. It was completed just before the turn of the century and before its architect and contractor W.H. Merritt declared bankruptcy in 1900. Merritt was also responsible for the first Moorhead Post Office and many of its early churches. The Kassenborg Block was built to serve the commercial needs of Moorhead. It has housed several bars and eateries on its lower floors, including Diemerts Cafe, which was active during prohibition, and later Kirby's Cafe.
Today the block is the largest commercial building still standing from Moorhead's early history and is home to Rustica Eatery and Tavern.
For more information on W.H. Merritt visit site 18 , and for more buildings by W.H. Merritt, visit sites 17 and 19.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Moorhead Historic Preservation Walking Tour