Created By: CDMRA
Kay Finch was a ceramicist who lived in Corona del Mar. She and her husband, Braden, moved to the area in 1939 and opened a ceramics studio. In 1941, the Finches expanded their studio by purchasing five adjoining lots on Coast Highway and the corner of Hazel from the city for $1,850. During World War II, Kay Finch Ceramics became popular as imports from Europe and Asia were scarce. By the end of the War, Kay Finch Ceramics employed over 60 people, many of whom were wives of servicemen. Kay Finch Ceramics was able to survive the post-war flood of imports due to its high quality and loyal customers. The company's ceramics were eventually sold in exclusive stores such as Marshall Field's, Neiman Marcus, and Saks Fifth Avenue. Kay closed her studio and showroom after Braden's death in 1963, but her ceramics remain popular with collectors.
Crown Cove assisted living facility is now located on the site of Kay Finch Ceramics.
This point of interest is part of the tour: CdM Coast Highway