Created By: HKBU
The Hong Kong Regiment founded the Kowloon Mosque and Islamic Center in 1896. It was initially built to accommodate the Indian Muslim British Army men stationed at the neighboring Whitfield Barracks, which is now the location of Kowloon Park.
The underground work done for the Mass Transit Railway in the late 1970s caused structural problems with the building. A new mosque was erected and inaugurated on May 11, 1984, on the present site at 105 Nathan Road, with funding supplied by MTR Corporation and donations from the neighborhood's Muslim population.
Currently, the mosque mostly accommodates Muslims from Indonesia and South Asia. Additionally, many of them reside in Tsim Sha Tsui, where ethnic minorities have made their homes. This also explains why it is significant to Hong Kong's non-Chinese Muslim community as a cultural site.
Near the Kowloon Mosque, vendors selling South Asian goods can be found in Chungking Mansions (opposite the mosque, across the road)
This point of interest is part of the tour: HKBU GFHC1045 TST Tour