Created By: The Chatfield Alliance
Just north of the Bemis home and adjoining Hendrick's Park (Chatfield's smallest park) is a three-story home commissioned in 1888/1889 by Abraham Lincoln "Link" Ober and built by Adolph Pavlish. Rougtly thirty years earlier in 1854, Dr. Nelson Allen (Chatfield's first physician) built a log cabin on this site in which he lived and practiced medicine before selling the land to Mr. Ober, a banker with the Chatfield Bank. In 1911 it was purchased by Patrick Henry Laivell who lived there for over fifty years. "P.H." ran the Laivell Clothing Company at 221 Main Street for over five decades. Today, the house is often referred to as the "Perkins house." The Chatfield Brass Band & Lending Library was born out of "a few (of its) spare rooms" by Jim Perkins, a local attorney and musician.
At one point, Adolph Pavlish was credited with constructing 1/3 of the buildings in Chatfield.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Historic Homes of Winona Street