Created By: Simon's Town Historical Society
The first grant was to William Hurter in 1798. He built a tavern and sold in 1814 to Wolke, the Toll keeper. Resold in 1829, by this date a lodging house had been built on the site. In 1840 it was purchased by by William Cogill. and operated as the Cosmopolitan Hotel. Ohlssons Breweries purchased the property in 1880 and this was rebuilt in 1929. The present hotel is named after Lord Nelson and legend has it that he came ashore in Simon's Town as a sick young midshipman to recuperate from 21 May to 21 June 1776 but there is no evidence that he actually came ashore. It is reputed that George Bernard Shaw had lunch here while on a visit to Simon's Town.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Simon's Town Historical Society