Created By: PocketSights
From 1907 when it was built following the Great Fire that destroyed Rensselaer’s original Main Building, The Approach (located directly south of the Winslow Building on Eighth Street) has represented a symbolic link between the City of Troy and the university.
With its renovation and rededication in 1999, it serves as a continuing reminder of Rensselaer’s commitment to the local community — a commitment that President Shirley Ann Jackson refers to as “communiversity.”
New freshman students are traditionally greeted on the Approach by the President of the Institute during their first week at Rensselaer.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute Campus Free Roam Tour