Created By: Tree Street Area Art Safari
Origins of Lovegrove - Doctor Lovegrove's Home, St Clairs Hospital, Bunbury Girls Grammar School (photos)
Dr Lovegrove built a house on the site in the 1880s, which later became a girls' boarding house and then a private hospital - named St Clair's Hospital (See B088). This was demolished in the 1960s to make way for Bunbury Primary School (originally named St Clairs Primary School), a new school complex for the school which had been established in 1895. That school was originally named Bunbury Girls Grammar School.
From the late 1880s, Mrs. Charles Rose occupied this residence, where she conducted a private school for young ladies, known as Field Place, which would be taken over by the Church of England in 1910, to establish the Grammar School which was later closed in 1919. Subsequently, the former residence was converted to a maternity hospital, operated by Nurse Matti Browne, under the name of St. Clair’s Private Hospital.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Tree Street Art Safari Architecture Tour
Please send change requests to changerequest@pocketsights.com.