Created By: Rideau District Museum
Lockwood’s House and Business ~ 20 Main Street
Hiram W. Lockwood built a general store on the corner of Bedford and Main Streets in 1872. In 1898, the Lockwood Store became the Union Bank and since has changed hands several times. Currently, this is the Lower Mountain Mercantile and Cedar Bridge Ice Cream in the summer months.
Lockwood Trivia: One of Hiram's five sons was Dr. A.L. Lockwood whose pioneering efforts on the battlefield of WWI advanced the development of thoracic surgery, earning him the Distinguished Service Order and the Military Cross. He would return to his native country to establish the Lockwood Clinic in Toronto.
This point of interest is part of the tour: The Walking Tour of Westport, Ontario