Created By: Auckland Council
Until Mount Albert Grammar School went co-educational in 2000, girls were zoned for Auckland Girls’ Grammar School, which some parents believed to be unsuitable since the school bus went past the Pink Pussycat strip club on Karangahape Road. A religious school offered an alternative.
The Marist Sisters established the private girls' St Mary's School on 30 January 1927. Soon, it was renamed Marist Convent School, and then Marist Sisters' College, and most recently, in 1996, Marist College. It was expanded in 1945 to provide boarding dormitories and science labs, and then entirely rebuilt in 1976. But this investment was not sustainable for the Catholic Church, and the college became integrated with the state schooling sector in 1981 as a ‘special character’ school.
Cross Alberton Avenue at the crosswalk and then continue south.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Mount Albert History Walk