Created By: Volunteer
The Queen Ann style showplace facing Kellogg Park in Plymouth was built in 1901 by William F. Markham, President of the King Air Rifle Company. Markham built the 17 room residence, not for his wife and two children, but for a young Secretary named Phoebe.
Originally, in the side yard, a continuously flowing fountain spilled over into a large reflection pool. A pergola, gazebo and statuary were focal points on the extensively landscaped grounds. The grounds also proudly displayed exotic plants, unusual trees and rare shrubs that Mr. Markham imported from around the world, including Amabilis Peonies, and Ginkgo, Black Magnolia and Copper Beech trees.
Markham sold the house to George and Harriet Wilcox in 1911.
On the first day in his new home, George Wilcox took a hammer to the wrought iron "M" (for Markham) in the grill work over the front gate, removed it, gave it a half twist and reinstalled it as a "W" (for Wilcox) where it identified many subsequent years of ownership by the Wilcox family. George and Harriet raised three children in the house, Julia, Katherine and Johnston (Jack).
During World War II, the federal government asked to use the house as a residence for war workers. The government made it into apartments and removed most of the special millwork and extensive landscaping.
This is a Michigan Historical Marker Site and a Motor Cities Tour site.
Information courtest of the Wilcox Foundation.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Downtown Plymouth Historical Sites