Mayflower Road Condominiums-Site of Ferry Hall

East Lake Forest Walking Tour

Mayflower Road Condominiums-Site of Ferry Hall

Lake Forest, Illinois 60045, United States

Created By: LFPF


The Mayflower Road Condominiums are currently located on the site of Ferry Hall, which opened its doors in September 1869 as a school intended to “complete the education of the young lady students.” In 1888 Cobb & Frost designed a major expansion of the Ferry Hall campus. The only remnant of that 1869/1888 campus is the chapel, adaptively-reused as a residence in the Mayflower Condominiums complex. Ferry Hall was expanding to offer a women's college program in the late 1880's, Ferry College, which only lasted a few years. In late 1970s, Ferry Hall merged with Lake Forest Academy and the land was subdivided. The building, described in the first school catalog as “the spacious and elegant edifice” was converted to condominiums.

This point of interest is part of the tour: East Lake Forest Walking Tour


Leave a Comment



Download the App

Download the PocketSights Tour Guide mobile app to take this self-guided tour on your GPS-enabled mobile device.

iOS Tour Guide Android Tour Guide



Updates and Corrections

Please send change requests to