Created By: Duchess Downtown Tours
HISTORIC HOUSE 449 North Sterling Street Circa 1898: Mrs. H. T. McMillan Shortly before 1900, James McNaspy built this house for his daughter, Mrs. H. T. McMillan. It was the last house on the north edge of Lafayette’s suburbs. Until the 1940s, everything north of this house was farmland. When this house was built, it was not uncommon for suburban lots to be deep enough to accommodate a horse for transportation, and or a milk cow. This house and many in the neighborhood like it, included property that spanned the entire depth of the block. The depth of Mrs. H. T. McMillan’s lot once spanned the entire block to Elizabeth Street.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Sterling Grove Historic District Tour