Created By: Sarah Mims
The Morton family purchased 312 acres of land around the future village in 1840. Mortonville village was laid out out by Crosby Morton and he became the first post master in 1852. One quarter mile south of Strasburg Road at Mortonville a covered bridge crossed the west branch of the Brandywine Creek. The covered bridge was constructed by Menander Wood who did the carpentry work and John Williams who did the masonry work in 1876. The bridge connected Laurel Road on the east bank to what is now called Brandywine Creek Road on the west bank. By 1939 that section of road was closed by the state, including the bridge, and Brandywine Creek Road was connected to Strasburg Road west of the railroad. By the 1960's the bridge was in a state of structural disrepair. In the 1970's the bridge collapsed under the weight of a vehicle which was too much for the weakened beams to support. Turn around in the driveway to the left and travel north back to the intersection at Strasburg Road. Carefully turn left onto Strasburg Raod and travel west across the stone arch bridge and continue for several miles to Frog Hollow Road.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Historic Bridges of Chester County's Lower Brandywine Creek watershed