Created By: The Sandpoint Group
The first school district in Sand Point was created in 1883 and catered to gold mining families. The railroad had reached Sand Point bringing more settlers. In 1885, the first school with 7 pupils was held in the White Swan, a converted saloon. By 1892, there were 28 students. In 1897, the 2 room Central School was built on the downtown block donated by L.D. Farmin. The population of Sandpoint by 1902 had grown to 6,000 and plans developed in 1906 to construct a new three-story brick school to house the first high school and all the lower grades. It opened on August 9, 1907, and served Sandpoint until it was demolished in 1970.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Sandpoint ...a walk through history.