Nappanee Carriage Works

The Architecture of Henry F. Frazier

Nappanee Carriage Works

Nappanee, Indiana 46550, United States

Created By: Nappanee Public Library


The Carriage Company was originally the Rupp Carriage Works. It had moved from Milford to Nappanee in 1891 and outgrew the original factory that they were in Nappanee.

Mr. Rupp, Miller, and Cosper entered into a partnership and started negotiating to purchase a lot that had been used as a lumber yard. It was decided from there to build a forty-four-foot by an eighty-foot brick building.

Mr. Frazier was the architect on the project. The building was to be three stories high and have all the conveniences and modern improvements. It would have a galvanized iron and plate glass on the front and it was styled after the Coppes Hotel. The first story was a platted glass for a display of Rupp vehicles in carriage, buggies, and road wagons.

Fred Rupp moved to Kendallville after coming to the Nappanee area. It is unsure when they started to call the carriage works, Nappanee Carriage Works.

This point of interest is part of the tour: The Architecture of Henry F. Frazier


Leave a Comment



Download the App

Download the PocketSights Tour Guide mobile app to take this self-guided tour on your GPS-enabled mobile device.

iOS Tour Guide Android Tour Guide



Updates and Corrections

Please send change requests to