Created By: Katie Mannix
What is today New Bedford's Free Public Library was originally designed by Russell Warren and built in 1838 for the purpose of serving as a Town Hall and Market House. The building was mixed use for many years - a place of commerce, discussion, meeting, and housing overflow for the town's library. In 1906 a fire destroyed the building. Even today, the Free Public Library maintains a rare and valuable collection of old texts and artwork, dating back from acquisitions made at its outset.
Information courtesy A Picture History of New Bedford, Volume 1
This point of interest is part of the tour: New Bedford Historical Walking Tour