Created By: Roanoke Valley Preservation Foundation
GOB South was built in 1896 by the railroad at the corner or Shenandoah Avenue and Jefferson Street. It replaced an earlier Queen Anne Style building that was constructed in 1883 for the railroad and destroyed by fire.The existing building is of the Neoclassical Revival Style of architecture. The west wing was constructed in 1903.
"Designed by the Norfolk & Western architecture department in Philadelphia, the design of GOB-S was inspired by architecture of the Renaissance, an age of humanism that rejected the style of the earlier Gothic period in favor of a more down-to-earth horizontality with rich decorative motifs derived from Greek and Roman structures." Source: National Register Nomination
This point of interest is part of the tour: Gainsboro History Walk
Please send change requests to email@example.com.