Created By: Reno County Museum
Six miles southwest of Lerado, the town was once called Dresden when it was in Kingman County, but when the Reno County boundary moved south, Dresden became part of Reno County and its name was changed to Olcott. The post office opened in 1887 and closed in 1903. It reopened again in 1904 and closed in 1907.
The population in 1910 was 53. It was an important stop for the Missouri Pacific Railroad because it was a coal and water station for the old steam locomotives. It had a depot, telegraph and express office, hotel, grocery store, Methodist church, grain elevator and a school. It even had a newspaper at one time, called the Weekly Press.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Reno County Ghost Towns