Old Dockyard Store Houses

Simon's Town Historical Society

Old Dockyard Store Houses

Cape Town, Simon's Town, Western Cape 7995, South Africa

Created By: Simon's Town Historical Society


Situated in the West Dockyard precinct and only the rear of the buildings can be seen from St George's Street. Work on the original two storey building commenced in 1742 to Baron Von Imhoff's design and in accordance with the Dutch East India Company's declaration in 1741 that Simon's Town must be the winter anchorage for their ships. In July 1765 these storehouses were extended. The work was completed in February 1768 and included accommodation for crew, sick sailors, hospital personnel, a blacksmith's workshop and bakery. The British, after 1795, did further renovations and the building was thereafter used only for stores. In 1878 a third storey and a low pitch roof were added and the building divided into two sections to allow access to the rear. This old building has enjoyed continuous use for over 260 years and is now utilised by the South African Navy.


This point of interest is part of the tour: Simon's Town Historical Society


Leave a Comment



Download the App

Download the PocketSights Tour Guide mobile app to take this self-guided tour on your GPS-enabled mobile device.

iOS Tour Guide Android Tour Guide



Updates and Corrections

Please send change requests to changerequest@pocketsights.com.