Old Simon's Town School

Simon's Town Historical Society

Old Simon's Town School

Cape Town, Simon's Town, Western Cape 7995, South Africa

Created By: Simon's Town Historical Society


The foundation stone was laid by WM Runciman in August 1896 and 116 pupils took occupation at the beginning of the 1897 school year. In 1898 donations from parents came in for the building of a gym and workshop. A gym was added adjacent but separate. In 1900 a workshop was added and the Headmaster's House was completed in 1907. In 1904 compulsory education was introduced and by this time the school was one of six A1 schools in the peninsula and had 209 pupils but when renamed ST Secondary School in 1950 it had only 190 pupils. In October 1953 the new school in Seaforth was completed and the ST Municipality took occupation of the old school building. In 2001 the building was altered to become the Simon's Town Library.


This point of interest is part of the tour: Simon's Town Historical Society


Leave a Comment



Download the App

Download the PocketSights Tour Guide mobile app to take this self-guided tour on your GPS-enabled mobile device.

iOS Tour Guide Android Tour Guide



Updates and Corrections

Please send change requests to changerequest@pocketsights.com.