Parking Garage- site of Pure Spring Water Company 1847

Kennett Square Village 1750-1840s

Parking Garage- site of Pure Spring Water Company 1847

Kennett Square, Pennsylvania 19348, United States

Created By: Kennett Heritage Center


In 1847, The Pure Spring Water Company, a private company, was organized to satisfy the demand for water created by the housing boom of 1840’s. Two pit reservoirs were dug on the south side of East Linden Street where the parking garage now stands. Water was pumped from the east branch of the Red Clay Creek and distributed to homes by terra cotta pipes. 

The Borough of Kennett Square bought stock in the water company in 1856 and purchased the entire company in July 1867, for $3,000.

The second photo shows one of the water supply tanks (far left in photo; installed 1954) that stood behind the Municpal Building at E.Linden and Broad Streets. The Municipal Building was demolished in 2019 to make way for the parking garage expansion shown in first photo.

This point of interest is part of the tour: Kennett Square Village 1750-1840s


Leave a Comment



Download the App

Download the PocketSights Tour Guide mobile app to take this self-guided tour on your GPS-enabled mobile device.

iOS Tour Guide Android Tour Guide



Updates and Corrections

Please send change requests to