Phoenix Building

Simon's Town Historical Society

Phoenix Building

Cape Town, Simon's Town, Western Cape 7995, South Africa

Created By: Simon's Town Historical Society


In 1879 a group of Freemasons in the Naval port of Simon’s Town applied to the Grand Lodge of England for a warrant to establish a Lodge in Simon’s Town. The ‘British’ and ‘Carnavon’ lodges situated in Cape Town sponsored the application and the 'Phoenix Lodge No 1860EC' came into being in 1880.(Note the 1860 on the facade is the Lodge Number)
Originally the 15 member strong group held their meetings in a room above Bro. Bob White’s Grocer and Baker shop in the Main Street, but in 1892 the Phoenix Lodge purchased the building known as Salvation Army House from the estate of Alexander Black. This building was previously known as the “Smuggler’s Den” and was later used as the Custom’s House. For the next 77 years the Phoenix Lodge became an important and integral part in the life of Simon’s Town. Charity fund raising by the Masons also afforded Simon’s Town Hospital beneficiary grants from the brethren. The name 'Phoenix' arose from the wreck of a 500-ton British ship, Phoenix, which sank off Seaforth beach on 19 July 1829. In the 1970s this property was expropriated by the Dept of Public Works and the lodge was moved to its present site in Glencairn.


This point of interest is part of the tour: Simon's Town Historical Society


Leave a Comment



Download the App

Download the PocketSights Tour Guide mobile app to take this self-guided tour on your GPS-enabled mobile device.

iOS Tour Guide Android Tour Guide



Updates and Corrections

Please send change requests to