Created By: Southfield City Centre
Mary Thompson’s parents and grandparents were pioneers who helped settle Southfield Township. Mary herself went on to make her mark by donating her farm to the city. Here it stands, along with 20 acres of land, to commemorate her family’s commitment to Southfield. During a time when very few women received higher education, Mary attended Michigan Normal College. She earned a doctorate in education from New York University in 1909, and spent her life as a teacher. In 1959, she sold 106 acres of the family homestead at half value to Southfield for use as a Civic Center. The farmhouse itself was built in 1840, and Mary lived here with her parents and four siblings. Installation Date: December 2017.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Southfield City Centre Walking Trail