Created By: North Dakota State University
The Pioneer Fire Company is a memorial to all firefighters of the area, past, present, and future. Firefighters from Fargo, West Fargo, and Casselton built the fire hall to replicate a fire station of the 1890s for the purpose of preserving and protecting fire fighting memorabilia.
When the city council of Fargo chartered the Pioneer Fire Company in 1877, John Haggart was named Fargo’s first Fire Chief. The Haggart family assisted in the financial expenses of the structure.
Equipment displayed in the building includes hand pulled “bucket” truck and soda and acid trucks from Davenport, ND. Fargo's first horse drawn hose cart (this item is temporarily on exhibit in the Main Museum), including the original harnesses which hang from the ceiling.. There is Fargo’s 1930 American LaFrance 1000 GPM pumper along with the 1947 pumper and the American LaFrance 100 Aerial.
Upstairs there is a living quarters set up like it was during the late 1800s, or the volunteer period, where two men lived in the station to care for the horses. There is a photo display of different fires, personnel, and equipment from the area. There is also the original brass fire pole from the Moorhead, MN Headquarters Fire Station.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Bonanzaville Full Village Tour