Created By: Sarah Mims
For many years, this property was part of a large farm that encompassed most of the land bounded by Corinne, Locust Grove and Wawaset Roads. From the 1950s to 1971, the farm was owned by AW Browning, a native Virginian married to a member of the DuPont family. AW Jr "Ted" and his sister Alice grew up here. Born in 1938, Armistead Willis Browning, Jr, was a landscape architect, environmentalist, and teacher who dedicated his life to environmental preservation and education, and to his career as a landscape designer. Mr. Browning was the founder of Turtle Creek Designs, a landscape design consulting firm in Pocopson, Pennsylvania. The firm did residential work and large-scale environmental studies. Browning worked extensively with the Brandywine Conservancy in Chadds Ford and Pocopson Township, producing landmark studies of the scenic, historical, and natural features of the Brandywine Valley Region. From 1977 until his death in 1987, Browning taught courses in landscape design and native plant horticulture at the University of Delaware. His weekly column, "Notes from Turtle Creek," appeared in The Kennett Paper. The papers contain lecture notes on landscape architecture and design, Japanese gardens, native plants and meadows, ecological and environmental topics; material relating to his work with the Brandywine Valley Association and Turtle Creek; notebooks and field books. Also included are plans and drawings for many of his landscaping assignments, and approximately 9,700 slides of gardens, flora, and landscapes.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Village of Locust Grove