Created By: Just Places Lab
Tip: If you have Wi-Fi or unlimited data, watch this short video featuring the demise of Ithaca's City Hall for a parking garage and the preservation of the Boardman House.
120 E Buffalo Street, Ithaca, NY 14850
The Boardman House was one of the first preservation victories after the high-profile demolition of Ithaca's City Hall. This much-needed success occurred as urban renewal threatened and led to the destruction of numerous buildings.
The Boardman House was built in 1866 and served as the administration building for the Ithaca Conservatory of Music (today, Ithaca College) for more than 50 years (1911-1968). In 1968, Tompkins County purchased the Boardman House and announced that it would demolish the building. Following community protest over the county’s plan to demolish the Boardman House, it was purchased by Joseph Ciaschi in 1982 and rehabilitated for office use. The Boardman House is not only a historic landmark associated with the Ithaca Conservatory of Music but one that symbolizes the history of preservation in Ithaca. This is music to our ears!
Read more about the Boardman House on Historic Ithaca's website.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Waste(d) Imagination Tour