Created By: Coleman Memorial Museum
Townsend Livery Barn on Railroad Avenue
This long structure, which occupies the space that is now the front yard of the Gerling property (and where Mrs. Gerling’s famous popcorn stand is still parked) was probably the largest of several livery barns that served Ellendale in its early years. Click through the images to see an April 1911 ad for the establishment, printed in the North Dakota Record.
Built almost immediately after Ellendale’s 1882 founding, this barn provided essential services not unlike one would find later at an automotive service station. The business kept a stock of hay and feed, sold harnesses and saddles and various other equine accessories, and was prepared to care for basic ordinary needs of draft animals as they might be required on a farmer’s trip to town. The Lacey and Barta Blacksmith shop was located directly behind the barn, which makes a great deal of sense, as Lacey and Barta advertised their place as “Horse Shoeing Parlors.”
This point of interest is part of the tour: Ellendale - Tour of the Core City