Created By: Mars Hill University
In the 1940s, Mr. J.B. Bridges donated a large sum of money to Mars Hill College towards the construction of the new Coyte Bridges Dining Hall, named after his late son who had been killed in a construction accident in 1917. The Coyte Bridges Dining Hall formerly opened on Thanksgiving Day, 1945 and served Mars Hill College students until January, 1994 when Pitman Dining Hall was officially opened on campus.
Following campus dining services being moved to Pitman Dining Hall, the former Coyte Bridges Dining Hall was converted to the new campus library. Before this, the campus library had been housed in the Memorial Library. Funded by a generous donation from George and Donna Renfro, Mars Hill College was able to renovate the former dining hall and formerly opened Renfro Library in August of 1995. Today, many alumni who return to visit campus often reflect on their time spent in the former dining hall and are amazed at its transition to a library.
This point of interest is part of the tour: A Walking Tour of Mars Hill University