Created By: Saint Louis University
Built by Samuel Cupples as a private home, the Cupples House features remarkable stone and wood work, period furnishings and many religious-themed paintings brought to SLU in the 1840s by Fr. Peter De Smet, S.J. SLU bought the house in 1947 and used it as the student life center until the Busch Student Center was opened in 1967. President Lyndon Johnson participated in the groundbreaking ceremony for the BSC.
In the Cupples House gardens and patio can be found images of the Jesuit “boy” saints: Aloysius Gonzaga, John Berchmans and Stanislaus Kostka. These Jesuits died prior to ordination--Gonzaga while studying theology, Berchmans while studying philosophy and Kostka while a novice.
This point of interest is part of the tour: The Pilgrim's Path at Saint Louis University