Created By: Scarborough Civic Society
"Round the foot of the Castle headland is the Marine Drive, an unrivalled seafront promenade which provides a direct link between the North and South Bays with magnificent views of sea and cliffs from Ravenscar to Flamborough Head."
This extract from Scarborough's official guide for 1949 is just one of many signs of the great pride that the town has had, and still has, in Marine Drive.
Ever since its construction was finished in 1908, both visitors and residents have lavished praise on it, as in the case of the writer of the message on the postcard reproduced on this board. The long construction period and the great expense of the project were soon forgotten.
This part of Marine Drive is notable for providing a view of the sea without any sign of either of the town's bays – it is possible to imagine that you are a long way from any built up area. It has always been a good place from which to observe happenings at sea, not only ships passing by but also rowing and yacht races and even marine accidents.
Forever popular with fishermen, processions, charity walks and many other events have all taken place on Marine Drive. A favourite occupation of people in the past was to watch large waves breaking over the sea wall and in some cases to indulge in wave dodging. This latter practice is now frowned upon because of the dangers involved, the power of the sea being too easy to underestimate.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Scarborough Marine Drive the history